Friday, November 11, 2016

Be the Good

It's been a crazy week, no? If you have been on planet Earth this week you know there was a presidential election in the land of the free. You also know that a lot of feelings were shared in the wake of the election.

I have seen a lot of ugliness on social media since Tuesday. I mean stuff that really makes my heart hurt. Really hurt. I felt sick all day Wednesday because of a post I read that was so shameful and embarrassing for the human race. It's gross how humans can treat other humans.

So you know what I did? I hung out with elementary kids. I went on a field trip with my son, I ate lunch with my daughters, I walked the hallways of their school, worked the book fair. You know what I didn't see? Ugliness. I didn't see the word "fag" spray painted on a sign, I didn't hear the f-word shouted at someone, didn't see rioting or property damage. I heard laughter. I saw smiles. I saw my daughter hug a classmate who hurt her head. I saw a student help another student up after she fell. I heard kids debating which candidate they wanted as president without any vicious words used. Doors were held open for others, "thank you" and "please" were phrases often used. I was right where I needed to be to keep my faith in humanity.

You see, these kids only know goodness right now. They are taught that bullying is bad and will not be tolerated, they are taught to have good manners and be polite. But you know what, they're watching, they're listening. They will mimic adults. So it's up to us to keep their sweet spirits alive. We can't let these kids grow up to be the assholes we have all seen this week. We have to do better, we have to BE better. We have to encourage dialogue that gets the point across without attacking. We have to teach them that differences aren't bad, differing opinions aren't bad. What is bad is being a shit human.

I hope those who are hurting find peace and solace somehow, someway. I would never tell them to get over it or move on, that's just silly, but I do hope they can continue the good fight and keep believing in themselves. And for those who are hurting others, I hope they realize their behavior is ugly and needs to change.

What a week. WHAT A WEEK! I want to rinse this bad taste out of my mouth. I want to smile and laugh and be happy. I want others to smile and laugh and be happy. Let's be the good we wish to see in the world.

On a sidenote, to ALL my people that left me this week, shame, shame, shame!!! How could you do that to me! I had no one to vent to. AGHHH!

So, tell me, what is something GOOD you saw this week? And I swear to God if you put something involving politics I will hope you get a hangnail. Yes, I am resorting to the ugliness I am so against! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment